Thirsty Business

Standing the test of time, these ceramic bottles have remained in a near-pristine condition for over a hundred years. They tell the story of Narrabri’s famous cordial maker, Septimus Faulkner (1859-1936). In the late 1800s, a young Faulkner arrived in Narrabri to work for Edmund Fuss, a chemist who had turned to cordial making. Under […]

Read More…

Stained Salvage

Described as ‘splendid’ and ‘imposing,’ the Narrabri Town Hall was a two-story brick building erected on Doyle Street in 1892. Built at a cost of 3,500 pounds (including furniture), it was officially opened the following year by the Governor, Sir Robert Duff, who used a ceremonial golden key presented to him for the occasion. Stained […]

Read More…

Legacy in a Bottle

 In the late 1800s and early 1900s, cordial making factories sprung up across central-west NSW. With modern single-use plastic bottles yet to be invented, many drinks were sold in glass or ceramic bottles, usually with a cork stopper or stamped metal cap. These particular ceramic bottles contained drinks that were produced by James Herbert Clarke’s […]

Read More…

Magnificent Memento

close up of framed written address dated Narrbari, March 7th 1903, it has a floral illustration at the top and the writing is script in green and red.

On a Saturday evening on the 7 March 1903, a banquet was held to say thank you to a loved and valued member of Narrabri. During the evening, Narrabri’s Mayor, Mr. H. V Mumford, presented Eugene Vincent Coleman (1863-1922) with this hand-painted address, still contained in its original wooden frame. Coleman was born in Boggabri, […]

Read More…